Saturday, June 1, 2024

Comings, goings, and happy wanderings


Hello, friends! Happy June! 

I hope you are starting your summer off with fun and relaxation. Here on Whidbey Island, the weather has been mostly gray and drizzly but this week there has been the occasional bright blue sky to hint at summer weather to come. When I moved here, I was told by more than one Islander that summer weather starts on July 5, as if the weather gods flip a switch. That proved to be true last year so we will see what this year brings. 

I’ve had a lovely week. My longtime friend Moe came up from Southern California for a visit, and that was really fun. We met in our college dorm just about 50 years ago, which is utterly shocking given that we are both so young and as silly as ever. Today she ferried off the island to accompany a mutual friend on a road trip to Minnesota. I am traveling vicariously with them by following them via the “find my friend” app on my phone. I have her permission for the virtual accompaniment, of course.

We had a fun time while she was here. We had one brilliant sunny day and ventured out to walk through Meerkerk Gardens, a lush rhododendron garden in Greenbank. I’ve been meaning to visit, so it was the perfect time to finally take the morning to wander through. We strolled on gravel paths through groves of huge redwood and cedar trees, with lots of blooming rhododendrons and azaleas and other flowering shrubs. We came upon several ponds as we wandered, and admired the many well-placed benches for resting and appreciating the views. When we were standing in the meadow with the gorgeous water view up there, I wanted to pinch myself. I feel so very lucky to live here in this beautiful place.



There was even a treasure hunt so we kept watch as we wandered. This fairy and her toad were one of the treasures we found. 


Of course, there were lovely flowers and lush ferns, and surprising shapes and colors to see. I don’t know what this bush was (I think some variety of campanula) but I love these little striped flowers. 


 Before and after Moe’s visit, I made good use of my time at the sewing machine. I got a lot of sewing done while listening to the trial news out of NYC. I’ve had the fabric cut for a “Swoon Sixteen” quilt for some time, and I got the blocks all made this week. Now I’m waiting for a particular sashing fabric to arrive to I can get the top together. Maybe I’ll call it “Justice Prevails.” 


A friend of mine is expecting a baby girl at the end of the summer, and she is decorating her nursery in a strawberry theme. Well, that means a strawberry baby quilt, of course.


The pattern is called “Strawberry Social” by The Pattern Basket. Aren’t the berry blocks just adorable? The little stem part looks tricky but was clearly described and illustrated in the pattern. After the first test block, it was an easy few steps to follow. Isn’t it such a pleasure to work from a well-written pattern? 


I’ve got all the berry blocks done so tomorrow will be assembly with white sashing to create a field of floating strawberries. I’m looking forward to doing some swirly quilting on this.

Speaking of sewing, Moe was fascinated by the longarm and played a bit doing some test sewing. Moe was a “hat writer” at Disneyland for quite a few years — you know, one of the folks who’d stitch your name on your Mickey Mouse ears in bright gold chain stitching. So she got the hang of it quite quickly. We decided that we will plan a quilt retreat week at my house soon so she can make a top an then quilt it herself on my longarm. 

I’ve got a pleasant mix of leisure and household tasks to do this week. Getting the septic system inspected. Meeting a new lawn mower guy, as my current guy is leaving the island after finishing his tour of duty at the naval air station. Meeting contractor #2 to fix a ridiculous problem that contractor #1 created when he built a gate. Assembling some new furniture for the back deck, in anticipation of sunny days to come. 

I’m liking retirement. How did I ever fit work in? 






1 comment:

  1. "How did I ever fit work in" is Patrick's thought, too! : )
    I'm happy that you have time to blog again!

    ReplyDelete